13 January, 2010

The Great Escape

Documentary

The non-fiction posts continue I am afraid. Though I am happily considering my next fictional post.

This year has brought me new hope somehow. I suppose, that this could have happened at any given time, but it just so happens that it coincided with the turn of the decade.

New Years Eve 2009. Depressing. I think I worked an eleven or twelve hour shift at the store. It was particularly bad because aside from the normal 'house-keeping' tasks that I do since others are incapable (though upon consideration I imagine janitors get paid more) I had to act as a cashier for three hours. At first I was happy for the change of scenery, but quickly realised that I would not be able to leave this little area for some time. And after dealing with people (some rude, some not) for that long it made sorting hangers (yes, seriously) that much more exciting. At this point, I was ready to give up. And almost certainly had resigned myself to the upcoming year of day in and day out retail work.

New Years Day 2010. Tired. Had to be at the store early in the morning. In contrast to the previous day, however, I could not help but to begin to plan my escape. It has been a long time coming, and I have thought many times that it would be easier and safer to continue in the environment I am in (easier and safer financially maybe, not sure that refers to my sanity). Despite the risk, I began plotting and strategizing.

It is hard to go out on a limb for something that you think will make you happier. By no means do I need money to be happy, but I like to be entertained and I like to live. I think that freelancing will offer me the chance to have both of those things. And if I have to be even closer to poverty than I am now in order to be less unhappy with things, than I think I can deal with that consequence.

It has been difficult having to turn down good opportunities in the theatre world while busy at Express. I think once I no longer have to do that I will begin meeting more people that are like-minded. And more than that, people that are involved in other projects that I might be able to be a part of. Anyway that I look at it, if I do not try it soon, I am afraid that I never will.

Here goes.

1 comment:

  1. Get in there. If it's any consolation, the first step is the hardest.

    ReplyDelete